Living in Taiwan
Formosa ("Beautiful Island")Formosa is what the Portuguese called Taiwan when they came here in the 16th century and saw the verdant beauty of the island.
Located off the southeast coast of the Asian Continent at the western edge of the Pacific Ocean, between Japan and the Philippines and right in the center of the East-Asian island arc, Taiwan forms a vital line of communication in the Asia-Pacific region. It covers an area of approximately 36,000 square kilometers (14,400 square miles) and is longer than it is wide. Two-thirds of the total area is covered by forested mountains and the remaining area consists of hilly country, platforms and highlands, coastal plains and basins. The Central Mountain Range stretches along the entire country from north to south, thus forming a natural line of demarcation for rivers on the eastern and western sides of the island. On the west side, lies the Yushan (Yu Mountain) Range with its main peak reaching 3,952 meters, the highest mountain peak in Northeast Asia.
Taiwan's culture is fine and diverse. At each corner, one can find some unique stories and local sentiments to enjoy. You are cordially welcome to travel in Taiwan and discover people's lifestyles. The beautiful island has many off-the-beaten-track destinations to offer. Why not savor Taiwan's culture and nature and meet our hospitable locals! Friendly, wise and full of wonderful experiences – Taiwan cordially awaits you!
(Data source: Tourism Bureau [https://eng.taiwan.net.tw/])
CGU dormitories provide on-campus accommodation for undergraduate and graduate students.
International graduate degree students are eligible for fee waiver or reduction for on-campus accommodation.
Please click here for details of CGU dormitories and the related regulations.
Application procedures and payment methods:
- Complete the application form and send it back to OIA before the designated date.
- OIA will notify you of your room number 3 weeks before the semester starts.
- The payment slip will be ready for you on the day. Please pay the fee at the campus post office and keep the receipt for future reference.
From Taoyuan International Airport (TPE)
By Taoyuan Airport MRT
1. Where to board: B2 of Terminal 1/A12 or Terminal 2/A13
2. Fare: NT$50
- Commuter Train: take Taoyuan Airport MRT to National Taiwan Sport University/A7. Then walk (about 1.5 KM) to CGU main entrance (about 15 minutes) or take the bus to CGU.
- Express Train: if you are carrying some luggage, take Taoyuan Airport MRT to Chang Gung Memorial Hospital/A8; then take a taxi outside the station (Exit 1, Wenhua 1st Road) to CGU's dormitory. The taxi fare is about NT$200.
Taxis are available at the airport. The taxi fare from the airport is about NT$ 800 and takes 30-40 minutes to CGU. You could simply print the following address and hand it to the taxi driver.
From Taoyuan City
1. From Taoyuan City to Chang Gung Memorial Hospital (CGMH), Linkou: take Formosa Fairway (#2003) to CGMH Linkou.
- Fare: NT$35 paid on the bus
- Where to board: No.159, Fuxing Rd., Taoyuan City (map)
- Service Hours: 06:10-23:30
3: 【A7 Station ↔ Chang Gung Campus】Shuttle Bus
From Taipei City
By MRT:take Taoyuan Airport MRT from Taipei Main Station/A1 to National Taiwan Sport University/A7; then walk or take bus to CGU.
Option1: take Formosa Fairway to CGMH Linkou (fare: NT$ 35), and transfer to CGU school Bus.
- Bus # 2000: from CGMH Taipei Branch (No.199, Dunhua N. Rd., Songshan Dist., Taipei City (Map).
- Bus # 2001: from Taipei Main Station (Exit North 1). The stop is on Civic Blvd (Map).
- Service Hours: 06:10-23:30
Option2: take San Chung Bus #967 (via Linkou Public Housing; fare: NT$ 53) or #967B (via Mitsui Outlet Park; fare: 45) at Taipei City Hall Bus Station (platform# 3) to CGU.
Where to board: No.6, Sec. 5, Zhongxiao E. Rd., Xinyi Dist., Taipei City (Map).
By car:get on National Freeway No. 1 and get off at Linkou Interchange (41KM A). Then follow the sign to Guishan (Gueishan)/ Wenhua 1st Road. Drive straight to National Taiwan Sport University, which is about 5 KM away. After entering National Taiwan Sport University, turn left at the lake. The entrance of Chang Gung University is on the left (Map).
Estimated Cost of Living
Life in Taiwan is generally very affordable. Excluding the on-campus accommodation, the estimated cost of living is approximately NT$8,000 – 15,000 per month (approx. US$280 – 540).
Before you arrive
After you arrive
- Alien Resident Certificate
- Visitor Visa Extension
- Work Permit
- Medical Examination (for those who enter Taiwan with a Visitor Visa)
Before you arrive
Medical Examination for International Students
International students (studying a degree program and staying in Taiwan for more than 6 months) are required to take medical examination and obtain a health certificate. The health certificate is a requirement for the application for a Resident Visa.
International degree students are advised to apply for a resident visa to enter Taiwan. You should take the medical examination in your home country and have the health certificate authenticated by an R.O.C. (Taiwan) overseas mission. Please refer to Taiwan Centers for Disease Control for exam items required and further information, and the Visa page for information of resident visa application.
International degree students are advised to apply for a Resident Visa to enter Taiwan. Please go to the Visa page for information of resident visa application.
After you arrive
Medical Examination for International Students (for those who enter Taiwan with a Visitor Visa)
International students who enter Taiwan with a Visitor Visa should apply for a Resident Visa (for studying a degree program and staying in Taiwan for more than 6 months) after registration. You are required to take medical examination and obtain a health certificate, which is a requirement for the application for a Resident Visa. Please refer to Taiwan Centers for Disease Control for exam items required and further information, and the Visa page for information of resident visa application.
- Verify Your Degree
- Recongnition Letter of Chang Gung University: English Version, Chinese Version
- International Students undertaking Internships after Graduating from University/College in Taiwan
Pre-paid SIM cards can be purchased at the Taoyuan International Airport. However, you have to be over 20 years old with a valid ID card. Monthly plans are also available, but a deposit is required. For more information, please visit each telecom company.